Conference Update Due to Coronavirus
April 7, 2020:
Dear NCME Colleague:
In this email, I present an update on our plans for rescheduling the 2020 NCME Conference and a request for you to participate in a conference planning survey. I acknowledge that for all of us, the 2020 NCME Conference is not the most important issue with which we are currently confronted. That said, we remain a strong community of measurement scientists and practitioners, and in the spirit of moving that community forward, we are holding out hope we may be able to come together in September.
We have not yet made a final decision on whether we will hold the 2020 NCME conference in the fall. However, should we decide to hold it, it will be at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center, from September 10-13, 2020.
Although none of us are able to predict what our world will be like in September, we would like you to respond to a brief (5-question) survey to indicate your likelihood of attending an NCME 2020 conference in September, given specific scenarios. These data will help the Board make a decision about whether we go forward with the conference. We expect it will take 4 minutes or less to complete the survey. It is important your opinions be represented in these survey data. You can find the link to the survey here on the right, after logging in:
There are two dates that are important decision milestones for us. The first is April 30. We can cancel the September conference in Minneapolis by that date without any financial penalty. The second date is June 30, which is the latest we could schedule the conference with an affordable penalty. At that time, we should have a better idea of the impact of the coronavirus on society, and of our ability to hold the conference in September.
Please take the time to complete our survey to help us with the decisions we need to make in the near future. The survey link is to the right (once logged in)
I wish you all strength, patience, and health as we deal with the current crisis. I look forward to seeing you online for the Conversation with Edmund Gordon (April 18) and the NCME business meeting (April 20). An email invitation for those events is forthcoming. I also hope to see you in Minneapolis in September.
Stephen G. Sireci, Ph.D.
President, National Council on Measurement in Education
March 27, 2020: Click Here
Like AERA, NCME is also concerned about the potential impact of our conference and the spread of the coronavirus, and so we are also canceling our onsite annual meeting in San Francisco. At the same time, we note that the NCME Annual meeting is the single most important event we hold each year, and is important for disseminating cutting-edge measurement research and practice, professional development, and networking. We also note that the conference and training workshop committees have put together an outstanding program—and many of you are integrally involved with that program. Therefore, we are considering two options for keeping the 2020 NCME Annual Meeting alive in some fashion. Two ideas we are exploring are (a) trying to hold some type of virtual conference online, in conjunction with AERA; and (b) postponing the conference to the fall, probably September, in a location to be determined (but would not be a “port” city). We will make a decision soon about these two options, and we remain hopeful we will still deliver an NCME 2020 conference in some capacity. Please stay tuned for more information. Please also note that AERA and NCME plan to refund all currently paid conference registration fees. Details on that refund will be forthcoming.