Classroom Assessment Standards
Foundations, Use, and Quality
In 2015, the Joint Committee on Standards for Education Evaluation (JCSEE) published the Classroom Assessment Standards. Visit JCSEE for more information.
What the Classroom Assessment Standards offer:
- Range of research-based practice from formative to summative assessment targeting K-12 teaching and learning
- Clarity and definition of assessment practice
- Guidance for classroom teachers, professional developers, and administrators
What the Classroom Assessment Standards avoid:
- Confusion with local, state and federal standardized testing and accountability measures
- Any assessment beyond control of the classroom teacher
- Separation of assessment from instruction
There are 16 standards organized into three broad domains: Foundations, Use, and Quality. Each standard is accompanied by an explanation of the standard, and a set of guidelines written to support implementation. Purchase the Classroom Assessment Standards.
A digital ITEMS module has been developed to review the Classroom Assessment Standards. The module contains audio-narrated slides, reflection questions, and a set of resources to support application of the Classroom Assessment Standards to classroom assessments within teams of teachers and/or curriculum and assessment developers. More information at this link: https://ncme.elevate.commpartners.com/products/digital-module-20-classroom-assessment-standards